This park is part of an historic new river (aquaduct) that brought water into London - originally built in the early 1600s and opened in 1613. Water came from the River Lea into the city along this route. It originally terminated in Clerkenwell near the Sadler Wells Theatre. Part of the aquaduct is still in use - about 20 miles - terminating in Stoke Newington, Hackney. The rest is fragmented, one section of which allows this park to exist. Another section can be found in Clissold Park. It is now a peaceful oasis for wildlife, including water birds, with trees including swamp cypress and dawn redwood.f someone had designed this as a park, then it would be a very strange park indeed. It runs down back streets so there is not much traffic noise.
Location: Start at Canonbury Road & Canonbury Grove and walk north-east along the aquaduct/park to St. Paul’s Road.
Nearest tube: Highbury & Islington