great places to visit off the beaten path.
I have just updated the Top Ten List page at the top of the home page. These are the 10 most popular articles on this site to date. I have also listed my “Ignored 5” – five articles I think readers should take a look at for something different. If you have a favourite that you think should be here, let me know.
– Courthouse Hotel – a former magistrates court, where you can have drinks in the cells, and dine in the courtroom.
– Duke’s Bar – where Ian Fleming created Bond’s martini.
– Regent Sound Studio & Denmark Street – London’s Tin Pan Alley and birthplace of modern music.
– Croydon Airport Visitor Centre – where Lindberg landed after his first trans-atlantic solo flight.
– Cockpit Steps – a London oddity with a ghost story.
– Sydenham Hill Wood – the only remnant of the Great North Wood.
– Shepherd Market – a hidden “village” in London.
– Go walking in the River Thames on a mudlarking nature walk.
– Ace Cafe – if you are a petrolhead.
– Three Mills Island – a most unique location in East London.
Five more to explore… the ignored!
– Alfie’s Antiques market – a great vintage shopping destination.
– St. Mary’s Woolnoth – a wonderful Hawksmoor Church.
– Charlton Peace Garden – a calming sanctuary.
– Fitzroy Tavern – a literary landmark and the birthplace of ‘Fitzrovia’.
– Jermyn Street Theatre – the smallest in the West End.